Fried Noodle with Cabbage and Chicken is one of my go-to party dishes. I have cooked the dish so many times! My Fried Noodle with Cabbage and Chicken is quite popular. When my extended family gets together, you already know what they ask. My Fried Noodle with Cabbage and Chicken. When we have potluck at work, you already know what they ask. My Fried Noodle with Cabbage and Chicken. Depending on the group of people, I would adjust the level of spices, especially the chili oil.
I use dry wheat noodle that I get in Asian grocery stores. You can use linguine if there are no Asian stores close to you. I like to use cabbage and some other vegetables like celery, carrots, snow peas. Wood ear mushroom (mu er) is an optional. My family likes it because of its high protein, low calorie and sodium.
With all that said, are you ready to learn how to make Fried Noodle with Cabbage and Chicken?
- 1/10 pound shredded dry wood ear mushroom (mu er)
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 pound cabbage
- ½ pound celery
- 2 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. rice wine
- 4 tbsp. light soy sauce
- salt to your taste
- ½ tsp. of cornstarch
- 1 pound thin wheat noodle
- ½ tsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- a dash of garlic powder
- a dash of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tsp. red chili oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Soak the shredded wood ear mushroom in water 5 hours ahead.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast.
- Shred the cabbage and celery.
- Mince garlic cloves and green inion.
- Marinate the chicken: Put the sliced chicken in a mixing bowl, add rice wine, ½ tbsp. light soy sauce, a pinch of salt, and cornstarch. Stir gently to coat the chicken. Let it set at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Fill a pot half full with water and put it on medium heat. When the water is boiling, put ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil in the pot, then put in the noodle, cook for 5 minutes. Pour the noodle in a drainer, add ½ tablespoon of olive oil, and toss the noodle with a pair of tongs so that the noodle won’t stick together.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil and swirl to coat the base. Add the cabbage and celery and stir-fry until it is not raw. Add a pinch of salt. Take it out and put in a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the skillet. Add the minced garlic, stir until the garlic starts to turn brown, and the oil is slightly fragrant. Add the chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes. Add the wood ear mushroom and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add dark soy sauce to make the chicken golden brown.
- Put in the noodle, and separate the noodle with a pair of tongs. Add the rest of the light soy sauce and the rest of olive oil. Toss the noodle so that they all get some soy sauce and olive oil. Add black pepper, garlic powder, a dash of salt, sugar, and red chili sauce. Toss to make the seasonings evenly on the noodle.
- Put the vegetables back into the skillet and mix them well with the noodle.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle the chopped green onion on the top.
Your Fried Noodle is ready to serve. Enjoy!!!