Shrimp Fried Rice is one of those Chinese dishes that people all over the world are familiar with. I know a lot of people love Shrimp Fried Rice. Me, too!
When you order a dish in a Chinese restaurant, the waiter/waitress might ask you if you want white rice or fried rice to go with it. That’s not the fried rice I’m showing you here. The fried rice I’m showing you here has more “goodies” in it. This recipe is Shrimp Fried Rice, but you can also use chicken, beef, or pork.
Shrimp Fried Rice is quick and easy to make. For most Chinese kids, friend rice is one of the first dishes they learn how to cook. I knew how to make egg fried rice when I was about 6 years old. Oh, no! Don’t ask me how many years I’ve been making fried rice! LOL.
- 1 bowl of cold cooked white rice (a “bowl’ of cooked rice is what a cup of uncooked rice will make.)
- ½ pound headless shrimp
- 2/3 cup frozen mixed sweet green peas and carrots. (I used 1/3 cup frozen sweet green peas and 1 chopped small fresh carrot in this recipe because that’s what I had in the house.)
- 1 green onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- a pinch of white pepper powder
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- salt to your taste (keep in mind that the soy sauce is salty as well)
- Peel and rinse the shrimp.
- Cut each shrimp into 3 sections.
- Marinate the shrimp: Put them in a bowl and add 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a pinch of white pepper powder. Mix them well, then let it set at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Chop the green onion.
- Chop the small carrot if using a fresh one. If using frozen vegetables, rinse them.
- Crack 1 egg and whisk it in a bowl with a dash of salt.
- Make sure the cooked rice is cool or cold.
Heat a skillet over high heat. Add ½ tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil and swirl to coat the base. When the oil is hot, put in marinated shrimp and stir.
When the shrimp starts to turn red, put in the sweet green peas and carrots.
Put a pinch of black pepper, stir for 2 minutes. Take them out and put them in a bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the skillet and swirl to coat the base. When the oil is hot, pour in the egg and scramble the egg.
Keep cooking the egg, breaking it into smaller pieces. Once you start to see part of the egg turn slightly brown, put in the rice. Stir and separate the rice.
Add ½ tablespoon olive oil if needed to help separate the rice. Put in 2 tablespoons light soy sauce and stir well.
Then put in the chopped green onion, mix it with the fried rice. Turn off the fire, and your fried rice is done!
Transfer to a serving bowl or plate and enjoy!