Stir-fry Chicken with Mushrooms is one of my go-to recipes for dinner during a busy workweek. This savory dish is quick and easy to make. And the leftovers with rice make a perfect lunch to take to work the next day. I’ll tell you what you need to make it and walk you through the steps.
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 pound of common white (button) mushrooms
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/3 large white or yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp. rice wine
- 1 tbsp. Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper corn
- white pepper powder
- 1/3 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes.
- Chop the mushrooms (1 mushroom is cut into 4 pieces).
- Chop the bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch cubes.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves.
- Marinate the chicken: Put the chicken cubes in a bowl and add 1 tsp. of rice wine (or lemon juice), 1 tbsp. of light soy sauce, ¼ tsp. salt, 1/3 tsp. garlic powder, a pinch of white pepper, a pinch of black pepper, and 1 ½ teaspoon of cornstarch. Stir gently to coat the chicken cubes. Let it set at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add ½ tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil and swirl to coat the base. When the oil is hot, put in the bell pepper and onion and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until it is not raw.
Add a dash of salt and black pepper. Take out and put in a plate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil in the skillet. Add 1/4 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper corn, the chopped garlic and stir until the garlic starts to turn brown and the oil is slightly fragrant.
Add the chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 tsp. rice wine and 1 tsp. dark soy sauce. Stir.
Add 1 tbsp. of Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce to make the chicken shiny brown.
Transfer to a serving bowl or plate and enjoy!